The Ocean City Environmental Commission will sponsor its fourth annual Nature and Environmental Family Fun Day from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, in the Ocean City High School cafeteria.
The event provides a great opportunity to get the kids out to do something educational, interactive and fun on Presidents Day Weekend.
The event includes a wide range of hands-on experiences for both children and adults. It is co-sponsored by the Ocean City Free Public Library and the Cape May County Park & Zoo.
The lineup of activities will include:
- Cape May County Zoo: A small-animal petting zoo for kids.
- Wetlands Institute: An adult-supervised “Touch Tank” experience featuring crabs, starfish/urchins, mussels, snails, clams, horseshoe crabs, small fish and a juvenile diamondback terrapin.
- O.C. Environmental Commission: A fun way for kids to learn about recycling by making various crafts reusing materials such as toilet paper rolls, cereal boxes, tissue boxes and water bottles.
- Ocean City High School Student Environmental Association: A free seed giveaway of plants that attract butterflies (with seeds sourced from Ocean City’s Bayside Center Butterfly Garden and wrapped in origami packets).
- Ocean City Free Public Library: Free nature and environmental giveaways.
Additional exhibits and demonstrations will include:
- Environmentally friendly shellfish replenishment demonstration (ACT Engineers)
- Protecting the watershed and cleaning up the bay demonstration (Americorp)
- Marine mammal stranding (Marine Mammal Stranding Center)
- Trash decomposition and the environment (Ocean City Environmental Commission)
- How to compost (Ocean City Environmental Commission)
- Native plants exhibit (Ocean City Environmental Commission)
- Energy efficiency (South Jersey Gas)
- Energy efficiency: solar (Atlantic City Electric)
- Water efficiency (New Jersey American Water)
- Solid waste and wastewater management (Cape May County Municipal Utilities Authority)
- Electric vehicle charging
Ocean City Market Madness Returns March 11:
Boardwalk and Downtown merchants will give shoppers a summer preview during the one-day Market Madness event on Saturday, March 11 at the Ocean City Music Pier. The one-day sale will bring together different vendors under one roof and provide discounts on favorite local merchandise, goods and attractions.
Hours for the event will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Parking will be free in municipal lots adjacent to the Boardwalk at Moorlyn Terrace, Eighth Street and Ninth Street.
Ocean City’s Boardwalk Merchants Association and Downtown Merchants Association created the new event in 2020 as an early-season attraction.