Now in its 91st season, the Ocean City Pops is mixing it up with a wide variety of musical talents this summer. The local orchestra performs twice-weekly at the historic Ocean City Music Pier, and the remainder of the 2019 season promises something for everybody.
Tickets are on sale now for the following shows:
- Cheyenne Jackson (August 21): The Grammy-nominated Cheyenne Jackson is a multi-talented actor, singer and songwriter. He was most recently seen in FX’s “American Horror Story: Apocalypse” and Disney’s “Descendants 3.” A veteran of the theater, he has performed in “The Most Happy Fella,” “The Performers,” “Finian’s Rainbow,” “Xanadu,” “All Shook Up,” “Aida” and “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” Tickets are $35 to $40.
- “Bon Voyage!” (August 25): Sit back, relax, and let the Pops take you on a trip around the world through a variety of great music. Featuring special guest soloist and world-class bandoneon virtuoso Julien Labro. Tickets are $20 to $25.
- A Salute to the 100th Anniversary of the American Legion (August 28): The Ocean City Pops celebrates the 100th anniversary of the American Legion with rousing works by Morton Gould, Aaron Copland, Leroy Anderson and Irving Berlin, among others. Tickets are $15 to $20.
- “A Star is Born”: The Concert (Sept. 1): Three legendary icons, three beloved motion pictures, and three best-selling soundtrack albums equal one epic concert celebration. Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga each stole our hearts with “A Star is Born.” Now a trio of Broadway/cabaret’s best voices join forces to celebrate the music from all three iconic film versions. The show features “The Man That Got Away,” “Shallow” and the Academy Award-winning “Evergreen.” Tickets are $25 to $35.
- “Here She Is” – Former Miss America in Concert (Sept. 4): The Ocean City Pops celebrates what was once a Jersey Shore tradition as a former Miss America will join the Pops in a concert featuring a musical journey through Broadway, pop and opera. Miss America 2002 Katie Harman Ebner will step off the iconic pageant runway and onto the Music Pier stage as special guest vocalist. This former Miss America has been recognized around the world for her vocal achievements. Tickets are $20 to $30.
- LaKisha Jones in “Queens of Rock and Soul” (Sept. 7): Join American Idol finalist LaKisha Jones in a celebration of the great ladies of soul, including Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Tina Turner, the legendary Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston. Tickets are $25 to $30.
- Symphony Night at the Pops (Sept. 11): Cody Austin and the world-class musicians of the Ocean City Pops are the stars of the show. The orchestra will be at its best as Maestro Vince Lee leads some of the greatest and most-beloved music in history, featuring favorites such as Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony and selections from Wagner’s operatic Ring Cycle. Tickets are $20 to $25.
- Bill Scheible Returns (Sept. 14): The Pops’ retired maestro and artistic director returns to conduct a program featuring the most recent winners of the Esther Weil student competition at the Music Pier. Tickets are $15 to $20.
Tickets are available at available at the Ocean City Music Pier Box Office, by visiting oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling 609-399-6111 or by stopping by the Ocean City Music Pier Box Office or any welcome center in Ocean City. Shows start at 7:30 p.m.
Also coming up in August:
AUGUST 21 – Wacky Wednesday Taffy Sculpting: Use your creativity to shape and sculpt Shriver’s salt water taffy into your very own masterpiece. Contest is free. Open to all ages. Start time: 10:30 a.m. at the Music Pier. For more information, call 609-399-6111.
AUGUST 23 – Ocean City Green Fair: Ocean City will host a Green Fair under the covered loggia of the Ocean City Music Pier from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. The community-wide event is designed to educate and encourage people of all ages to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle. Green Fairs allow participants to learn how small individual efforts can make a huge difference in their communities.
AUGUST 23 and 24 – “Guys and Dolls Jr.”: The Ocean City Theatre Company’s Middle School Junior Company presents an adaptation of the show considered by many to be the perfect musical comedy.
Its namesake ran for 1,200 performances when it opened on Broadway in 1950 and won numerous Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Performances start at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets are $12 to $15 and are available by visiting oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice or calling 609-399-6111.
AUGUST 28 – Wacky Wednesday French Fry Sculpting: Use your creativity to shape and sculpt French fries into your very own masterpiece. Contest is free. Open to all ages.
Start time: 10:30 a.m. at the Music Pier. For more information, call 609-399-6111.
AUGUST 30 – Swon Brothers and Josh Gracin: A country music concert featuring the Swon Brothers and Josh Gracin is set for 7:30 p.m. August 30 on the Ocean City Music Pier.
In 2013, the Swon Brothers became the ﬁrst duo to make it to a season ﬁnale of “The Voice” with the help of their coach, Blake Shelton. They released their self-titled album and received a nomination for CMA Vocal Duo of the Year in 2014.
They have toured with Carrie Underwood and are now busy preparing new music, including the newly released single “What Ever Happened” from their new EP. Josh Gracin fans fell in love with the Michigan native and former Marine upon his ascension onto the country charts in 2004 with “I Want To Live.”
The hits came in short order for Gracin – the chart-topper “Nothin’ To Lose,” “Stay With Me (Brass Bed)” and “We Weren’t Crazy” all hit high on the Billboard charts.
Tickets ($25 to $30) are available at the Ocean City Music Pier Box Office, by visiting oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling 609-399-6111 or by stopping by the Ocean City Music Pier Box Office or any welcome center in Ocean City.