When you have a successful “Dog of The Year” fundraiser dating back to 2005, there’s only one thing left to do: hold a “Dog of the Decade” contest.
Ocean City did just that on Sunday, hosting the event to benefit the Human Society of Ocean City and the town’s entire canine community.
A total of 12 pooches, most of them previous Dog of the Year winners, competed for the title. The competition took place at the 6th St. Recreation Building. People voted for their favorite canine with monetary donations. Proceeds helped the Humane Society, which operates a no-kill shelter, veterinary hospital, adoption services and much more.
The Dog of the Decade title went to the late Mocha, a Chocolate Lab owned by Sue and Gary Bechtold. Mocha won the Dog of the Year contest in 2006. First runner-up was P.W. Scrubbs, a Golden Retriever who was Dog of the Year in 2015 and owned by Stephanie Lindley. Second Runner-up was 2013’s Dog of the Year, Bailey, owned by Patti McBride and Skip Lipset. Third runner-up was Dylan, a Standard White Poodle, who won in 2005.
In addition to the former Dog of the Year winners, the contest featured competitors Olive, a whippet mix, and Roscoe, a Cane Corso. Both of these loveable dogs are available for adoption.
Previous winners taking part in the contest:
- 2005-Dylan, a Standard White Poodle, owned by Gale and Gary Dillion
- 2006-Mocha, Chocolate Lab, owned by Sue and Gary Bechtold
- 2007-Scruffy, a Rescue mix, owned by Debbie and Harry Buckley
- 2008-Maggie, a Gordon Setter owned by Brian and Tina Kolmer
- 2009-Wesley Bass, an Australian Shepherd owned by Brian O’Donnell
- 2010-Mae, a Black Standard Poodle owned by Janice Mannal
- 2011-Bailey and Riley, Boston Terriers owned by Dawn and Harry Vanderslice
- 2012-Misty, a Standard Poodle, owned by Jack and Joan Billet
- 2013-Bailey, a Chocolate Lab, owned by Patty McBride and Skip Lipset
- 2014-Albert, a Springer Spaniel owned by Ellen Senft
- 2015-Mr. P.W. Scrubbs, a Golden Retriever owned by Stephanie Lindley