Tickets for two popular summer theater series in Ocean City will go on sale starting 9 a.m. Monday, Feb. 3.
The Ocean City Pops orchestra and the Ocean City Theatre Company will bring a professional cast to town for performances of the musicals “The Producers” and “The Sound of Music.” OCTC also will bring a variety of favorites to life in “Broadway on the OC Boardwalk.” The annual Children’s Theater Series will bring five different morning shows to the Ocean City Music Pier.
Details on the Broadway Series are as follows:
- “Broadway on the OC Boardwalk” (7:30 p.m. June 24, Ocean City Music Pier): Professional performers in OCTC’s 2020 summer season sing many of Broadway’s classics. Tickets are $18 to $20.
- “The Producers” (7:30 p.m. July 7, 8 and 10; 2 p.m. July 9; Hughes Performing Arts Center): The Ocean City Pops and the Ocean City Theatre Company present the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical with a comedic book co-written by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan. Tickets are $30.
- “The Sound of Music” (7:30 p.m. August 4, 5, 7 and 8; 2 p.m. August 6, Hughes Performing Arts Center): The Ocean City Pops and the Ocean City Theatre Company team up to bring one of the world’s most beloved musicals to the stage. The show features family-friendly songs, including “Climb Ev’ry Mountain,” “My Favorite Things,” “Do Re Mi,” “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” and the title number. Tickets are $30 or $25 for children 12 and under.
The Children’s Series will include:
- “The Kid Who Ran for President” (10:30 a.m. June 30 and July 3, Ocean City Music Pier): This musical tells the story of an unlikely 12-year-old presidential candidate who gets some media attention that ignites the political voices of children around the nation.
- “Freckleface Strawberry: The Musical” (10:30 a.m. July 7, Ocean City Music Pier): Based on the beloved New York Times best-selling book by celebrated actress Julianne Moore, this a fun and touching family musical in which Freckleface and friends learn to “love the skin they’re in.”
- “Alexander, Who’s Not Not Not Not Not Going to Move” (10:30 a.m. July 14, Ocean City Music Pier): Based on Judith Viorst’s book, this play was commissioned and premiered by the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- “Tilly the Trickster” (10:30 a.m. July 21, Ocean City Music Pier): Based on the book by “Saturday Night Live” alum Molly Shannon, this production introduces us to a mischievous girl who loves nothing more than causing a little trouble.
- “Awesome Allie: First Kid Astronaut” (10:30 a.m. July 28, Ocean City Music Pier): Allie was a typical 8-year-old until one day she was chosen for a very special mission. On a journey through the solar system, she is about to discover that friendship just might be the most important thing in the whole universe—but only the audience can help her figure it out.
Advance tickets for all children’s shows are $10 (they will be $12 on the day of). Tickets for the Broadway Series and Children’s Series will be available starting Feb. 3 at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling 609-399-6111 or at Ocean City’s welcome centers at City Hall and on the Route 52 causeway.
Also starting Feb. 3, people can visit the same box office sites to reserve spots to enjoy a free concert by the brass ensemble of the U.S. Air Force Heritage of America Band.
The concert is scheduled for 2 p.m. March 15 at the Ocean City Music Pier. The show will feature orchestral transcriptions, patriotic favorites, jazz standards, new compositions and distinctive arrangements. The seating will be general admission, and the doors will open at 1:30 p.m.
TICKETS NOW ON SALE FOR 2020 JACKIE EVANCHO SHOW
After performing two sold-out shows in 2018, singing sensation Jackie Evancho will return to Ocean City to perform with the Ocean City Pops at the Ocean City Music Pier on May 9. Tickets are available at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling 609-399-6111 or at the City Hall or Roy Gillian welcome centers.
Since she first dazzled American television audiences at age 10 – gaining global recognition with her debut on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” – Evancho has released a string of platinum and gold albums with sales of more than 3 million in the U.S. All seven of Jackie’s albums have hit No. 1 on the Billboard Classical chart.
In 2019, Evancho returned to “America’s Got Talent – The Champions,” where she stunned the audience with her rendition of Barbra Streisand’s “Somewhere.” In April 2019, she turned 19 and in the same week released her latest album, “The Debut.”
On the album, she matches her extraordinary voice with one of the most exciting re-emerging genres in popular music today: Broadway’s New American Songbook.
ALSO COMING UP
BOOK SALE (Feb. 7): The Friends and Volunteers of the Ocean City Free Public Library will hold a one-day book sale 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7. The sale will be held in the atrium of the Ocean City Free Public Library, 1735 Simpson Avenue. Shop for specially-priced books, DVDs and more.
NATURE FUN-DAY (Feb. 15): All are invited to a free “Family-Friendly Nature and the Environment Fun-Day” featuring zoo animals, crafts, games, music and stories.
The event will be held 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 15 at the Howard S. Stainton Senior Center in the Ocean City Community Center (1735 Simpson Avenue).
Activities will include making your own pine-cone birdfeeder. Sponsors include the Cape May County Park and Zoo, the Ocean City Environmental Commission and the Ocean City Free Public Library.