Boat Hits Ocean City Jetty; Camden County Man Charged With DWI

Boat Hits Ocean City Jetty; Camden County Man Charged With DWI

The boat runs aground near the Morningside Road beach. (Photos courtesy of John Walton)


A boat ended up on a jetty in Ocean City on Monday night and the operator of it was arrested.

Nicholas Theisen, 24, of Lindenwold, Camden County, was charged with boating while intoxicated. There were no reported injuries to Theisen or the other occupants, authorities said.

New Jersey State Police Marine Division is investigating the incident along with the Ocean City Police Department.

On Tuesday, a State Police sergeant said there was nothing new to release at this time and that the investigation continues.

On Monday night at about 9:26 p.m., Ocean City fire and police units responded for a report of a boat on a jetty near Morningside Road, Ocean City Public Information Officer Doug Bergen said.

“The boat operator and all passengers were able to make it to the beach without assistance,” Bergen said. “Responders were in the shallow water ready to help. There were no injuries.”

Passengers of the boat escape uninjured.

John Walton, an Ocean City resident and local realtor, said the scene was surreal.

“There were about 100 or 150 people,” Walton said of the bystanders who were watching the crash scene. “They kept going north on the Boardwalk in packs and groups. Everyone was on their porches and all of a sudden there were trucks and ambulances flying down the road.”

He continued, “They were heading east from Third Street up. They got to the boat. Everybody went down there. There was a helicopter. The rescue crew, the boat and the crowd. You didn’t even know where you were it was so crazy.”

As of early Tuesday morning, police were working with a towing service to have the boat removed.

At the time of the accident, people took to social media to talk about what they saw and heard.

A few people said that they heard “a loud crash.”

Authorities gather and observe the boat.

Here are two of the Facebook posts:

Karen Shipman said, “Speedboat hit the jetty at 3rd st and kept going!!! large hole in the boat and the boat made it to north st where it capsized (supposedly) and the 10 people were all rescued and are okay!!!!!”

Rae Durst Nowicki said she spoke with an officer. “Something about a boat on the beach. Crazy, fire truck, several ambulance & so many police cars came flying by 1st & Corinthian toward the gardens. I hope they are ok.”